There is a first Windows 10 Redstone 5 update, for a really small inside audience. The update is scheduled for something around September. But first Redstone 4 will become available for the grand population. There will be a lot of new features and bug/error fixes.
Redstone 4 (version 170101) will become available in March. Then we will finally know the release name. For the moment Microsoft is optimizing and stabilizing the Redstone 4 update. While doing this they have opened the first version of the following update after Redstone 4, called Redstone 5.
Who will get the Redstone 5 update and who will get the Redstone 4 update? First of all, if you are interested in the Redstone 5 update, it will not be possible anymore to assign for it. Due to enough people who are already doing this. Those people have chosen for the skip ahead function. This is a function that gives you the newest releases, so Microsoft has a broad public to test their software.
Redstone 5 will be less stable then Redstone 4. Because they will integrate new code. There are a few things you can expect from both updates.
- Right clicking a live tile will give you the option of jumping straight into that apps Settings.
- You can now drag contacts between the Taskbar and the My People Hub.
- Edge will now automatically fill out preferred information in address and related forms.
- Cortana is now better at alerting you about apps that you can pick up where you left off.
These are just a handful of them, you can check them all here: Redstone 4.
- We fixed an issue where the floating dictation UI could be unexpectedly tiny.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain fingerprint readers not working in recent flights.
- When your volume is muted, the volume icons in the Sound Settings page will also now appear muted.
These are also a handful of new features/fixes. You can find them all over here: Redstone 5.
Last there will be a new power scheme, that tries to eliminate micro latencies for a higher performance. This will only be available for a plugged in device. So it will not be possible to use it on a battery system. You can already make your own power consumption plan, but with this feature Microsoft tries to push the limits even further.
We are excited to see, if they can push their limits and how far.