As work gets more hectic and days get busier, portability becomes the need of the hour. Functionality and portability go hand in hand. The product in question for this review is the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G3. The MobieLite Wireless G3 by Kingston seeks to serve multiple functions while on the go. It even acts as a wireless access point which can turn any wired Ethernet connection into a wireless one. Apart from its basic function of allowing smartphones and tablets to access data through it, it also serves as a handy power bank. Yes, you heard that right! The G3 can charge your phone and tablet through the USB B Type port on the device.
- Easy mobile backup - Save your important photos, videos, contacts and more. The MobileLite app offers a one-touch backup option.
- Add Storage - MLWG3 lets you easily access the content on USB drives and SD cards from your smartphone. MLW Pro adds 64GB10 of built-in storage.
- Battery Backup - Quickly and easily charge your smartphone up to 2.5x12. MLWG3 features a 5,400 mAh battery and MLW Pro has a 6,700 mAh battery to keep phones and tablets charged when you need them.
- Two-year warranty with free technical support - For peace of mind, MLWG3 and MLW Pro are backed by a two-year warranty, free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability.
- Inputs for Storage: USB and SD – reads SD, SDHC, SDXC and microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC (with included adapter)
- Supported File Systems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT
- Dimensions: 115mm x 80mm x 24mm
- Weight: 192g
- Wireless Network Interface: 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n & 5GHz 802.11ac
- WLAN Ethernet Port: To function as an access point
- Rechargeable Battery: Up to 11 hours of continuous use; built-in Li-ion 5,400 mAh battery with 3.7V 2.0A output maximum
- Local Storage: Wirelessly transfer files to and from the MobileLite app and the MobileLite Wireless hardware
- Camera Roll Support: Allows users to move photos and videos from their mobile device to MobileLite Wireless in order to free up space
- Included Cables: USB B to micro USB cable
- Operating Temperature: 0–35°C
- Storage Temperature: 0–45°C
- Guaranteed: two-year warranty, free technical support
- Customizable Device Name: (SSID) User selectable Wi-Fi priority list when there are multiple APN/Key available
- File Support: MobileLite Wireless can store any file type. Playback and viewing are based on the files supported by the mobile device
- General file format support: Audio: MP3, WAV
- Video: m4V, mp4 (H. 264 video codec)
- Image: jpg, tif
- Document: pdf
- Compatible Mobile Devices7: iPad 2/3rd Gen/4th Gen/Air/Air 2, iPad Mini/Mini 2/Mini 3/Mini 4, iPad Touch 5th Gen/6th Gen, iPhone 4S/5/5S/6/6+/6S/6S+, Fire, Fire HD (4.6+), Android (4.2+)
Items in the box:
- MobileLite Wireless G3
- Quick Start Guide
- Micro-SD card adapter
- USB Cable
The MobileLite Wireless G3 is a white wonder which has the power button and reset bottom next to each other. Both buttons are located at the front of the device along with a micro-USB port. The device uses standard micro-USB charging. Moving to the side of the device, you’ll notice the presence of a SD card slot as well as an Ethernet port. The Ethernet port allows you to transfer your device into somewat of a Wi-Fi router or more specifically, a wireless access point. The SD card slot supports SD and Micro SD cards up to the SDXC standard. On further inspection, the micro-USB port seems to be a standard 2.0 port. The top or face of the devices has three LED lights to indicate an internet connection, Wi-Fi signal, and power. The battery LED/power also indicates the amount of battery time left in the MobileLite G3. Green indicates 51% - 100%; orange indicates 25% - 50%; and red indicates less than 25% battery charge remaining.
Using the MobileLite Wireless G3
The software can be easily found and is made available on both platforms, Android as well as IOS. For this review, we used the Android version of the application. However, the Android and IOS versions are identical.
Once the application has been downloaded and installed on your smartphone, open the app and allow it to connect to the network. The main page will show up which contains, ‘File Explorer’ and ‘Backup/Restore’. After connecting your storage device to the MobileLite Wireless, you can browse through the file explore and open/play existing files on the storage device.
You can very easily backup files by making use of the one key backup function. This will backup the data on the mobile device which you are using to access the Wireless G3.
Coming to the MLW setup, we can see the options for setting up the device’s SSIDs as well as the option which allows you to connect a Wi-Fi network for wireless bridging. We find the Wi-Fi bridging to be one of the most useful and noteworthy functions of the MobileLite Wireless G3. Using this feature, you can connect your device to a Wi-Fi network while your device is still connected to it for streaming or transferring files. Most devices usually disconnect the Wi-Fi connection to the device while streaming. So we found this to be an extremely handy feature on the MobileLite Wireless G3.
This device is a winner in terms of its functionality and portability; the fact that it can combine so many functions into such a compact frame is remarkable. The Ethernet port, Wi-Fi bridging and portable battery charger make the device a worthy purchase. The Kingston MobileLite Wireless G3 is a wonderful piece of tech to carry on business trips as well as vacations.
Final Verdict- 8.7/10
We decided to award the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G3 a Silver Award!
More Information about our awards can be found here